Monday, August 25, 2008

Everyone is a Leader

This past week, I was focused on "Everyone is a leader. Growth happens. Whenever it does, allow it to emerge. Learn to follow when it makes sense. Let anyone lead." from the Incomplete Manifesto for Growth by Bruce Mau.

I agree with this idea and support it wholeheartedly, even if I don't do it myself. I did not have an opportunity to experience this in a creative capacity directly this week. I did try to follow others as well as lead in other areas of my life. I think the impact is just as great. I noticed, however, that there are two types of people. One group leads when needed or when given the opportunity. They enjoy leading and are comfortable in the role. Others, not so much.

This second group, the let-me-follow group I find interesting. For whatever reason, members of this group would prefer nothing to occur and allow the group to dissipate than step forward and lead. I conducted a few experiments with groups of people where I normally take the lead. I quietly stepped aside. No one stepped forward. So I continueed and kept my mouth shut and remained action less. No one stepped forward. No ideas were offered. The looming resulting was separation of the group and, although that was not the desired outcome, the group was racing to the inevitable state. I finally made a few suggestions which were well received and then I decided which of the suggestions we would do. Of course, thanks to my years in corporate America, I made it looked like a group decision but the decision was mine. I'm not comfortable being seen in the role of dictator although I feel I play the role often.

The group I was with are accomplished people that I suspect, in their element, can take charge. For some, I do believe that allowing others step ahead is a combination of things, everything from fear, insecurity, passive aggressive behavior, indecisiveness, apathy and many others. All of these we all suffer from at times so this should be of no surprise. Ironically, it is when you step out of your comfort zone and take the risk when creativity and changes occur. I long for the day when I can witness someone from the let-me-follow group take a stand and lead. I suspect that I am in for a treat, a direction that I would not have come up with myself. We are all leaders. We are all followers. Influence comes from all directions. Influence and allow yourself to be influenced. That means, lead and follow. There is room for both.

Maybe someday, American politicians will follow this notion.

This week I will be exploring the concept of "Harvest ideas. Edit applications. Ideas need a dynamic, fluid, generous environment to sustain life. Applications, on the other hand, benefit from critical rigor. Produce a high ratio of ideas to applications."

Oh, by the way, Impossible is Nothing.

No comments: