Friday, August 8, 2008

What Is My Style?

I've been working on several paintings for the past several weeks. Some days I work on them, some I don't. Today, I returned to two of them, both are very different is styles but similar in theme. Both are part of a series of self portraits but I am also challenging the traditional notion of a self portrait at the same time. It was by releasing myself from the traditional definition that I was able to begin the series. Prior to that, I was frozen and unable to move.

I also noticed that in doing self portraits, I am creating snapshots of how I feel and how I see myself at any given time. It has forced be to be introspective and on occasion, I don't want to be. On those days, I am unable to work on the self portraits. Beside having to examine and face my emotional and physical self, I am also trying to find my style at the same time. This is something I have written about before, the elusive personal style.

I have had the opportunity during the past month to see works of artists that, for whatever reason, captured my attention. I began to notice similarities in their styles and color palettes. There is something about the similarities that draws me but I haven't figured out why as of yet. I have an urge or desire to follow their lead and build off of what I find enticing. But I'm not sure where to begin, technically speaking. So, for the time being, I will continue to admire and ponder these artists, Robert Carbonell being one, and wait for the muse to tap my should and tell me it is time to begin.

In the meantime, I will continue to work on my portraits, playing, experimenting and reflecting and watch my style change over time. I get frustrated at times not having one signature style but on the other hand, right now I have several styles. My wish is that one of the styles that I enjoy to create begins to mature and evolve to a higher level of expression.

No comments: