Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Taking a Chance

On a lark, I sent an email late last week to a gallery I knew. I hadn't shown my stuff there before mainly because I hadn't tried to. I didn't believe my work was of the caliber that is normally shown there. But last week I was on a roll sending out submissions for agents and art consultants and I received and email from the gallery announcing their new location. So, since I was in the moment, I sent a simple email, almost timid, asking if they may possibly be interested in reviewing my work for possible inclusion in a group show in the future. I was expecting not to hear or receive the typical cold and demeaning negative response that I have received very often in the past.

I received a phone call the very next day.

They reviewed my portfolio on my web site and liked several of my pieces. They asked me to come in, look at the new space and bring a few pieces for them to look at. I approached it as an interview. I was excited, nervous and grateful for the opportunity. I also began questioning myself. Who did I think I was attempting to pull off two exhibitions in one month? My answer was, I don't know but I won't sell if no one never sees my work. Plus I didn't have the show yet. In addition, I was prepared to receive criticism from the artist who owned the gallery. He knew and worked with one of the most known artist of the 20th century. I tried to stay positive and took three recent pieces that I was proud of.

I was greeted warmly at the door and the artist and the curator remembered me from a brief meeting years ago. Their curiosity got to them and they had to look at my work. They liked it. All of it. I showed them my portfolio book and they liked all by one series. Incredible! I started feeling more comfortable and began discussing some of my apprehensions about exhibiting in general. All were brushed aside. They genuinely liked my work. I was is shock. It was in the moment I realized that my lack in confidence in myself because I wasn't "properly schooled" in art was holding me back. I may not know terms or jargon, but I can create art that at a minimum catch a person's eye and at most make an impact. I think that is a good range for me to exist in.

The moral of the story, I am the limiting factor to achieving what I want. The world doesn't have it out for me. People are not throwing up roadblocks. If I do what I want to do, in my case create art, and do it honestly and with all my heart, and then work hard to show the world what I have done, people will take notice. Not all people, but enough.

It has been a stressful week, an exciting week, with lots of running around, scheduling and balancing. I thrive on this energy. The stakes just got higher this week thanks to the mere fact I took a small chance. I received in return a big payback.

Oh, by the way, I'm in the show. It starts in two days. My work is in two exhibits in September. I'm very proud (and a bit stunned).

No comments: