Monday, November 10, 2008

Lather, Rinse, Repeat

This past week I examined the 21st recommendation from Bruce Mau's "Incomplete Manifesto for Growth" which states "Repeat yourself. If you like it, do it again. If you don’t like it, do it again."

As a few people know, I'm in the middle of series of 12 self portraits. They are more expressionistic than realistic. Regardless, it is lather, rinse, repeat. To keep myself from getting bored, I'll work on an abstract or "special project" to clear my mind. I am finishing up the 6th portrait by the end of this week. I believe the concept of repeating the process works.

Each of the 6 portraits are different. Some I like, some I don't. Some are more experimental in nature and some are more conservative in the approach I took. Regardless, there is a sense of sequential connection from one to the next. The portraits overall are becoming more complex in style and technique as well as expression. At first, I loathed the idea of repeating the same theme over and over again. But after doing this for 2.5 months, I am beginning to enjoy it. I can make small adjustments from one painting to the next. Over time, the adjustments add up to be major ones. I also noticed that portrait #6, the one nearing completion is a large step out from the others. As I continue the portraits, my confidence in creating them is growing. The result is I am comfortable being more expressive as well as taking more risks. I suspect I will make minor adjustment at this level for a few before the next major leap forward occurs again.

I guess that is my main take away from this suggestion. The fallout of repeating the process is not only confidence and proficiency but also the knowledge that in time, a major step forward will occur naturally and effortlessly. I also see this in other aspects of my person and professional life. This blog is a great example. This is my 60th posting. When I began blogging, I found it to be a chore. I rarely knew what I would write about and I was worried whether what I wrote was any good and would others read it. Now, I never struggle with find something to write about. I rarely edit the blog before publishing.

Another example is applying for gallery shows. Week in and week out, 5 to 10 submission go out. My submission are getting better and I'm am beginning to get responses.

Lather, rinse, repeat. I'm going to put it on a t-shirt.

This week I am looking at "Make your own tools. Hybridize your tools in order to build unique things. Even simple tools that are your own can yield entirely new avenues of exploration. Remember, tools amplify our capacities, so even a small tool can make a big difference."

No comments: