Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Standing on Shoulders

Last week I examined the 23rd recommendation from Bruce Mau's "Incomplete Manifesto for Growth" which states "Stand on someone’s shoulders. You can travel farther carried on the accomplishments of those who came before you. And the view is so much better."

I ended up interpreting this as there is no need to reinvent the wheel. Not only is it okay to used what others have developed or discovered, it is to my advantage. I can build on it and thus produce something complete new and original. Plus I don't have to spend the time and energy learning and making the mistakes someone has already done. I can learn from others and then make brand new mistakes. Not repeat someone else's.

I also saw this as a sign to ask for help when needed. As the saying goes "two heads are better than one", help can push my results closer to my dreams further and faster than if I attempted to do so on my own. Asking for help is not a sign of weakness but a sign of strength. It shows that I am aware of the task at hand and my abilities and in order to achieve the task I have to add to my resources. In addition, I have found over the years, asking people for help not only makes others feel needed and useful, but it give them a sense of ownership in my task. They are more interested in what I do. They are more invested in what I do. They become more invested in me. It helps build a sense of community. Likewise, I soon discover that their goals are often related to my own. Thus working together we can "kill two birds with one stone."

There is no need to go it alone. Ask for help. Build on what came before. Include others. Move forward. It all helps in creating positive momentum.

This week I will look at "Avoid software. The problem with software is that everyone has it."

No comments: