Wednesday, June 18, 2008

I've Fallen and I Can't Get Up

Attached to my computer screen you will find Post It Notes, old photos, fortunes from fortune cookies, etc.. From what I have learned, this is not conducive to a productive work environment. However, they give me comfort, remind me of things I need to do, remind me of things I enjoy, and on occasion, give me things to avoid and ignore when I'm too lazy to avoid that task at hand. One of the notes on my screen is an old Japanese proverb. It states,

"Fall seven times. Get up Eight."

When I came across this proverb, I really didn't understand how deep the proverb really was. I just knew that it resonated with me. So I kept it. It now occupies the prestigious spot of eye level on the right side of my screen. I see it every time I reach for the mouse.

Over the six months or so it has been sitting there, I must have read it a thousand times, each time pondering what is this great message these short two sentences have that is so deep and profound as to become a proverb. I don't know. I do have my interpretation of it however.

I remember when I was a kid and in school, many things came easy to me. I liked school. I liked learning (I still do). But I've noticed, especially lately, new things don't come as easily as they did in the past. I try, stumble, fail, crash and burn, explode, run into walls, experience spontaneously combustion and every other euphemism for not succeeding, at first. Okay, at second and third attempts too. But, given enough motivation and a true drive for success, I do, eventually, reach my goal. I think is one of the messages of the proverb.

But that is too obvious and too easy. There is more to it. This is not a focus on success or reaching a goal. This is a focus on trying, attempting to do something that doesn't come easy. To go for it when everyone around you (and every bone in your body) is telling you that you are doomed if you try but you know in your heart that you have to. You know it is the right thing to do. It is a calling. And you start, knowing you will get hit in the head with a board, get knocked down, maybe even bleed a little (a little blood letting was thought to be good for your health in medieval times) just to get up and go through it all again. What I have experienced however, is that the second failure is not as bad as the first, the third not as bad and the second and so on. And, believe it or not, as long as I keep my intention pure and my motivation high (and trust me there are days when I want to go back to when things were easy), I stop failing and start succeeding. Success beyond what I ever thought possible. And, besides the obvious sense of accomplishment that comes with this type of success, I've grown. I'm a bit wiser (hopefully) for the experience, and those other challenges that I have looked at but never dreamed of attempting, they don't look as scary as they did before. Okay, a few do. But many don't. And because I learned from the past challenge, maybe I won't fall down as hard or as many times with the next adventure.

So, I'm going to paraphrase the proverb, try and try again. Expect to fall down. It only hurts a little. But expect to stand back up again, bigger, stronger, smarter, wiser and more skillful than before. Just don't forget to take the antibacterial cream and band-aids. Just in case.

No comments: