Thursday, April 8, 2010

Now and the Future

Although I have several weeks yet to wait before I move into the new studio space, I'm very excited.  The fantasies have started of how I will arrange my work space, what projects I will begin, what new ideas may come to me, etc.  It feels like a just got a new job.

On the other hand, it has also been difficult to continue working in my current studio space.  I find that I have to continue to pull myself back to the present moment.  There are unfinished projects to complete.  There are new techniques to try out which ironically are the basis for those new big future projects.  What I noticed is that when I concentrate on the moment, what specifically I am doing, I become absorbed by it.  In addition, when I finish painting for the day, I feel a sense of accomplishment.  I pushed the projects forward and often learn something new about the techniques I'm using or the approaches I'm taking to create the paintings.

In the past month, my technique and style has changed.  All indications that they will continue to change for the near future, assuming I concentrate on the moment, receive the input and process without judgement.  Prejudice and preconceptions can kill the creative process.

So, I allow myself to fantasize about the new studio and the new work life.  But when it comes down to working, the actual creation, I will continue to concentrate and allow the painting to just "be" and "evolve" naturally.  I guess the same can be said about me as well.

No comments: