Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I Feel Stagnate, True or False?

I have started hanging me art work on my own walls. I always have but now I'm doing more as I am running out of space to store the unsold work. Ironically, I'm procrastinating in selling. Part of me views my current work as experimental and not yet good enough for public display much less to sell. At the same time, I know the quality of many of my pieces is very high and usually elicits a response from viewers. I'm floating in the sea of lack of confidence. Until I change that, I suspect my work will not sell well from the mere fact that I probably do not give my work the recognition it deserves.

I have seen this manifest itself in many ways over the past few months, procrastination, lethargy, self sabotage, avoidance, excuses and even in a few cases, straight you refusal to do more. The only true answer is that at the moment, I feel vulnerable. I am in the transition phase where I am no longer a office going corporate guy but I'm not fully the self supporting artist as well. To push forward will require another leap of faith, jumping off the cliff into the world of retail, be it galleries, on-line or other avenues to sell my work. I think I may have been waiting for someone to give me a little shove but honestly I don't want that. I want to stand up and take a step, any step. I want to break the stagnation that I feel.

Reality is however that I'm not stagnate, not even close. I keep myself busy (most days) and I work at creating new pieces, finishing up old ones, and slowly enter in the world of eBay. So, if I'm doing things in, what I feel is, the right direction, why do I have this nagging feeling of being stagnate? Impatience is a possible culprit. And the impatience may also be coupled with that fact that I know I can do more. I'm having problems adjusting my daily schedule and maintaining a high level of energy to do more. So I want things to change rapidly, but the more rapid things change, the more energy I expel to keep my balance. I wonder what would happen if I give a big push and allow myself to fall down. Falling down isn't all the bad. I'll surround myself with soft pillows so I won't get hurt.

No comments: