Monday, January 5, 2009

It is an Honor Just to be Nominated

I haven't posted in a while due to the holidays. Every year it completely adjusts my daily schedule. But now I'm back and I was looking at the latest suggestion from Bruce Mau's "Incomplete Manifesto for Growth" which states "Don’t enter awards competitions. Just don’t. It’s not good for you." This is the 26th suggestion on the list.

I have mixed feelings about this suggestion. On one hand, growth and creativity is done for myself, not for others to approve, judge or admire. On the other hand, without approval, judging and admiration, no one buys the work. And let's face it, money makes the world go round.

For me, this suggestion speaks to the concept of creating for creating sake and not to focus on the outcome. In doing so, the competition between me and others is eliminated. I have no need to enter award competitions unless it is a very good marketing tool (ah, the money thing creeps back).

In the end, if I use the awards or possible awards as validation of the work I'm doing, it is misguided. Self validation and the simple act of creation is all the matters. Looking externally will undoubtly influence and mostly stifle my internal voice, my inate, original expression.

This week I will review "Read only left-hand pages. Marshall McLuhan did this. By decreasing the amount of information, we leave room for what he called our 'noodle.'"

No comments: