Friday, January 9, 2009

Sometimes I Drift Off

This week, I have been working on a set of pop art portraits for a client, 3 in fact. I have done many of these and although I do enjoy painting, this process has become a be stale for me. As such, my mind tends to wonder when I was working. An interesting thought crossed my mind that I haven't let go of, namely, what is the creative process? Where does it begin and where does it end? Can I switch it on or does it require inspiration or divine intervention? I'm sure I'm not the only one ever to ponder these questions before. This isn't even the first time I have thought about it myself.

So I look at the portraits I am currently painting. Like I said, I have completed many of them. I don't question or second guess myself at all during their creation. I follow my process and "puff" (or seemingly so) they are done. Something from nothing. A vague notion in my head (they aren't even clear imagines in my mind) in a relatively short period of time become real paintings. It is almost easy. I just have to put in the work and follow the process. I have heard that if I can conceive and believe, then I can manifest it into reality. It seems to work with the portraits. What about other things?

I have the conceiving ideas part of the recipe down. I get many ideas a day. Probably more than I even realize or hang on to. But this is where the process takes a turn for me, the believing part. Sometimes things (i.e. me and my thoughts) get in the way. I believe but I don't, all at the same time. I send myself and the universe mixed messages. "Don't give me any more ideas like this one, I don't buy it." And so the idea dies a slow death. If by chance I haven't killed off the idea, I may not put the effort into it to make it come to life. I don't work at it hard enough. The odd part is that anything that I truly believe in doesn't seem like work or is easier done than I initially thought. So many ideas appear to me as major mountains to climb. The challenges I take on often end up be hills, not mountains that just require time to walk over them.

I'm not sure where I'm going with all of this. The idea of the process of creation fascinates me. I'll be allowing my mind to drift off when I'm finishing up the portraits and see what I can come up with.

No comments: