Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Time Warp

Some days I find the blank screen before I begin blogging a bit intimidating, like today. I'm not sure what to write about. So this is going to be very free form and flowing.

Due to a few circumstances I changed my routine this morning. I ended up painting nearly 2 hours earlier than normal. It felt odd. However, just like any other day, I got into my groove quickly once I committed to painting. I took frequent breaks and I made sure that I painted for at least the same amount of time as if I were on my usual schedule. I ended up painting a little longer.

I noticed that time warps for me when I paint. During one session between breaks I was painting and it seems that hours had passed. When I checked the time, only 15 minutes had passed. Then in another session, I thought I had painted quickly and it was much later in the day than I realized. I was experiencing extremes in how I sensed time. Time was speeding up, and slowing down. In both cases, I was focused on the painting and what I was doing at the moment. Not many external thoughts were entering my head, except for the music that was playing in the background. For me, painting, or creating of any sort, is a quasi-meditative state. I guess I "zoned out" this morning and my sense of time is the victim.

I wonder how much of my time warping is attitude, or color selection, or focused attention, or combination of these or other things going on. I'm sure these had occurred before but I never noticed it. How many other tasks that I believe will take me a long, long time (and therefore I procrastinate) and end up taking little time to complete? And on the opposite end of the spectrum, how many tasks I believe will be quick and take forever (and I get frustrated)? Of course, what about the tasks that take the amount of time to complete as I had envisioned. Do I even notice those or do I just go on with my day?

I will try to pay more attention to time while I work. I can imagine the fun I could have if I can learn specifically how to warp time. This sounds kinda like Star Trek.

No comments: