Monday, January 19, 2009

Pat, I Would Like to Buy a Vowel

This past week I was examining the latest suggestion from Bruce Mau's "Incomplete Manifesto for Growth" which reads "Make new words. Expand the lexicon. The new conditions demand a new way of thinking. The thinking demands new forms of expression. The expression generates new conditions."

I didn't realize this but I've been doing this all along. I'm not a formally trained artist so there are techniques that I use that I may not know the "official" term but I still try to convey what I am doing or the meaning behind it. In those cases, I have created new words or phrases to help me get my point across. This goes hand in hand with creating your own tools.

In addition, creating my own words and phrases is a very creative process and it all builds on each other. First a word, then a technique to match it, then that leads to another technique and a new word is required, and so on. New vocabulary is just one way we can be creative.

But I would like to expand this idea even further playing off the concept that expression generates new conditions, and similarly, new conditions generates new expressions. I don't want to limit myself to only creating new words. I want to encompass it all to new forms of expression. Perhaps it will start with a word that grows into something bigger but I want to remove the limit. When working, create your own form of expressions. That will definitely foster new conditions and change.

This week I will look at the next suggestion from Bruce Mau "Think with your mind. Forget technology. Creativity is not device-dependent." This is the 29th recommendation. Only 13 left to go.

No comments: