Monday, October 6, 2008

Collaborate

This past week, I was looking at the 16th recommendation from Bruce Mau's "Incomplete Manifesto for Growth" which reads "Collaborate. The space between people working together is filled with conflict, friction, strife, exhilaration, delight, and vast creative potential."

What I experienced is that we don't live in a vacuum. Without interacting with others, emotion begins to drain out of our lives. Without emotion, any creation will lack emotion. Emotionless art is lifeless, boring, uninspiring, uninspired. There is a heat or passion that can spark between lovers. There is anger and sadness that develops in a fight. There is joy and happiness that exists when love and acceptance are shown and given. All of these emotions and many others gives us energy. That energy can be transferred into our creations. I believe it is the art that contains within it energy, aka emotions, is the art that elicits the greatest response from others. Everyone wants to feel alive, energized.

So my suggestion to put this recommendation into practice is to go out and have real relationships with people. I was going to use the word authentic instead of real but that came too close to what my therapist would say. I, as an artist, cannot express myself if I'm not clear on what I'm feeling and want to express. Likewise, if I'm not feeling, I cannot express myself. Feelings get triggered by interacting with others, by living a life. Go forth and experience. Try something new. Call someone. Do something. And if you are afraid to do so, great! Tell someone and watch your creativity flow.

This week I will look at "____________________. Intentionally left blank. Allow space for the ideas you haven’t had yet, and for the ideas of others.

No comments: