Monday, October 27, 2008

Work the Metaphor, No Thanks

Last week, from Bruce Mau's "Incomplete Manifesto for Growth" I reviewed "Work the metaphor. Every object has the capacity to stand for something other than what is apparent. Work on what it stands for." I have absolutely no idea what this means, what the suggestion is, how to apply it or how this relates to life or the creative process.

In fact, I couldn't disagree more with this recommendation. I believe to see things as they are and stop adding additional layers, fogging and confusing reality. Things are what they are. In there lies the beauty.

I will admit that many things have multiple meanings and playing these meanings off each other or using thing in unique and original ways will provide new and exciting results. But this still goes back to the meanings, what they truly are. Metaphors are traps to avoid being direct. If you have something to say, say it. No sugar coating.

I do not find this suggestion helpful or productive. Just the opposite. Just say what you want to say. It is what it is.

This week, I will examine "Be careful to take risks. Time is genetic. Today is the child of yesterday and the parent of tomorrow. The work you produce today will create your future.

No comments: