Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Just a Rainy Day

My allergies are flaring up, the weather is rainy and gloomy, and it has been an overly quiet day. It is now 4pm and I have not spoken to another human being. Normally I would become concerned that I am heading down the path to being a hermit but I just sat down at Starbucks and will be ordering a drink soon. My vow of silence will be broken.

In spite of all of this, I found that I was very productive and creative this morning. I have three paintings going at the moment. Nothing new there. But I noticed that I was intimately involved with each one today. As I focused on one, the others nearly disappeared from my consciousness. My world narrowed immensely and all I saw, all I thought about was the painting in front of me. In addition, the next step I wanted to take with each one become crystal clear. I was excited by it, elated. This took me by surprise since I woke up a bit crabby and bad allergies. I just didn't feel well and was suspecting today would be a less than productive day. Not the case.

I moved on the the second painting. Working away, I got a bit carried away and I overshot the result I was looking for. Resin can have a mind of it's own. It continued to flow even after I stopped working with it. So, I am now heading in an unknown and unexpected direction. The last time that happened I ended up finding a new technique.

The third painting is lacking emotion, my emotion. It shows. It is an attempt to satisfy the home decor market. I may be selling out here. I'm not being completely true to myself. One of these days I'll learn to relax and just paint my style without worrying about future sales. Art is not a product. Treating it as a product zapped the life out of it. In the meantime, I'll continue this piece and see where it may lead. Regardless, I'm enjoying creating it.

So, for what I thought would be a quiet day turned out to be very enlightening, productive and a bit adventurous. The day isn't over yet. Perhaps there is more to come.

No comments: