Friday, September 26, 2008

Don't Worry, Be Creative

The current economic crisis in the US got me thinking about what is happening, how it go to this level, what and how are addressing it and how all of it may or will impact me now and in the future. That's a lot to think about in addition to all my day to day stuff and my daily attempt to create a masterpiece. Throw in my disillusionment of the current presidential election and my head is swimming with thoughts, mostly negative. This is toxic. It is poison to my general well being and it is deadly for creative ideas.

I woke up this morning on the wrong side of the bed. I mean negative, not on the left. I wasn't in a bad mood per se but I was carrying a feeling of despair. It was a heavy feeling. I was unable to work. The creative flow was avoiding me, or rather, I was probably pushing it away. I had other things that I had to do so I shifted my focus. I also started thinking about the economic crisis, as it is being referred to. Can I can control or influence it? Has any of my actions been to blame for it? I concluded that this situation is out of my control. Therefore it is pointless and a waste of time and energy for me to worry about it. I can influence it, or at least its impact on me, indirectly. I made sure that my investments were as sounds as possible given what I know today. Am I to fault? I don't think so. I don't have bad credit. I pay my bills. I don't have a mortgage I can't afford. And I don't give credit to those who are over their heads for whatever reason. I will in the future watch my investments closer so that I invest in companies that do not put money over people in the future. All of this was the rant in my head as I went about doing stuff half ass.

I noticed something after I decided that I wasn't going to worry about this and I would be just fine as this works itself out. My mood lifted and my creative urge returned. I also have a boost in energy as well. I wonder how many other times I have held on to things, ideas, concepts, issues that didn't involve me but yet I took them on. This is definitely an energy drain. A creativity drain as well. Doing my own thing with the confidence that I will handle whatever comes my way so far seems to be the biggest push for my creative side. Non-creative types may not fully understand what I'm talking about today but I'll let them worry about that.

;-)

No comments: