Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Love, Sexuality and Creativity

Over the past few weeks, I noticed that the theme of love, sexuality and creativity has come up in conversation several times. The first time I just thought that it was an interesting collection of items that someone considered linked. But when it continued to present itself, I figured I should think about it some.

On the surface, I had a difficult time understanding how these three items were connected. Each seemingly can function on its own. And I think they can. But I also believe there is one element that is present in each, passion. Passion in the sense of an outburst of strong emotion or feeling. All three, love, sexuality and creativity are the result of some form of emotional outburst, an overflow, a extension beyond myself.

So what does it mean in practical terms that these things are somehow linked? I think the point is they are not practical, nor safe. These are the results of and the source of emotional outbursts. For love or sexuality or creativity to exist and continue to exist, continual emotional extensions are necessary. That is to say, they are all forms of sharing myself with others. With that, these items have another component in common, vulnerability. Any instance of exposing myself comes with it a sense of vulnerability, whether I'm accustomed to it or not. The result of expressing myself with the vulnerability is either love, sexuality or creativity, or possibly all three. So, I may be concerned how others may react to what I have to say (the vulnerability part) but I still have to say it (the extension part). Piece by piece, over time, by doing this, I think love, sexuality and creativity will grow and flourish allowing these items to survive independent of each other and supportive of each other.

I'm going to look for examples of this in my life and report back.

No comments: