Monday, September 1, 2008

A Stream of Ideas

This past week (I start many of my blogs this way), I was focus on integrating "Harvest ideas. Edit applications. Ideas need a dynamic, fluid, generous environment to sustain life. Applications, on the other hand, benefit from critical rigor. Produce a high ratio of ideas to applications," from Bruce Mau's "Incomplete Manifesto for Growth." I found this to be an interesting exercise that I suspect and hope that I will continue going forward.

I interpreted this suggestion as a focus on unadulterated, unedited ideas. Allow the ideas to flow, whatever they may be and look for applications later. The result is cool. I initially had to "turn off" my editing or judgement filter when an idea randomly entered my mind AND I was aware of it. I'm sure that many other ideas came and went either do to not being aware I was given an idea or I was unaware that my filter was still actively working. Overtime however, I began to question "the filter." The filter was often based on old, untrue prejudices or notions and beliefs that I heard from someone else. The filter was also at times based in fear of change. But, more than anything, I became aware of "the filter."

Once I realized that when I received an idea and the voice in my head kicking in nearly instantaneously afterwards was actually my filter, I could ignore the filter. I couldn't turn it off, but I can acknowledge it and ignore it. Then I was left with the raw idea. I had/have many of them each day. I began to brainstorm and actively participate in free association whenever my mind wasn't otherwise occupied, even for a split second. It feels like I found a radio channel that continuously streams ideas and all I needed was tune my receiver to the correct frequency to catch them. It feels strange and natural at the same time. I am NOT use to this yet. I think there is much, much more here to explore.

So, while I notice the stream of ideas, I try to capture a few. I make a mental note or write them down. After a few days, I reviewed the ideas. I have many more ideas, good and practical ideas than I did before. And most of the ideas, as raw as they may be, need little or no adjustment to make them realistic, to make them real. Most of the adjustments were to focus the ideas on specific projects or desires that I have. I believe the raw ideas would probably work just fine.

My advice: notice "the filter", allow the ideas to flow, take note and review later. The ideas may be very quiet and come in unexpected times, but they are there for the picking.

This week I will review "Keep moving. The market and its operations have a tendency to reinforce success. Resist it. Allow failure and migration to be part of your practice."

No comments: