Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Self Accountability & Time Management

Two themes have cropped up for me over the past few days, self accountability and time management. Both I believe are interconnected, or at least can me. I find my "to do list" increasing in length while the number of items I scratch off are fewer and fewer. I'm procrastinating and seemingly wasting time, or better put, focusing on things that are not addressing the items on my list. I'm doing something. I'm just not doing the "right" things. I'm not painting as much as I want to. I'm not arranging gallery exhibits as often as I like. I'm not doing the necessary admin work that any business naturally has. These are just a few examples.

I did some research. One suggestion was to make a weekly plan and assign myself someone to be accountable to. I didn't like that idea. It doesn't really solve the core issue of SELF accountability. It makes me accountable to someone else (like having a boss) but this person has no authority. There are still no repercussions for non action. I'm interested in setting a plan and following through with or without anyone one there looking over my shoulder. I haven't found the answer yet.

The other topic of time management which I feel lately has slipped from me has numerous gurus out there. People earn livings by assisting others with time management. The best suggestion I have heard lately is to stop the multitasking that we have all heard about and most attempt to do. Instead, become single taskers. The idea is to set a portion of time aside, say 1 hour. That hour is dedicated to one and only one task. That is the focus for that time period. No email, no phone calls, no Internet surfing, no online chat, no cleaning, nothing but focus on the task. Easier said than done. Even while writing I have caught myself checking email a few times. I can see however that but establishing focus time, I can work without distraction and move things forward. The trick I think is remaining without distractions.

When the time is up. Stop, take a small break, allow the distractions back in for a short time. I don't believe I can keep them at bay for the entire day. Then, set the clock, pick another task, and focus. I may view this as a game. How long can I focus? I suspect over time this will become habitual. As I recently heard, it isn't how many ideas I have nor projects I'm working on. It is what gets completed that actually yields results. For a given time period, select the priority and finish it. Do in this repeatedly and consistently will develop the self accountability I am looking for.

No comments: