Monday, September 29, 2008

Stupid Questions

This past week I was looking at "Ask stupid questions. Growth is fueled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer, not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant," from Bruce Mau's "Incomplete Manifesto for Growth." On the surface, this seemed like a fairly simple suggestion. In reality, I found it extremely difficult to apply or see the positive impact I wanted to receive.

All throughout my career in the corporate world, I heard and said that the only dumb questions are the ones not asked. I'm sure many dumb questions are never asked everyday of the work week. Who wants to be that person? I have even heard the preface "this may be a dumb question but..." It takes the edge off a bit or just lets the world know that I don't see the value in the question I'm asking. But at least it was asked and it was out there. More often than not, the stupid questions generate a healthy discussion and may influence the final outcomes decisions. That is the point, growth.

In a creative capacity, I spend most of my working day alone. I may have had a stupid question but there was no one immediately near to ask. Hence my issue. To ask a stupid question, I have to suspend my ego and self criticism and ask the question. But I also wanted some to ask. That was at first. In addition, I found myself searching and searching for stupid questions. I was forcing it. That wasn't helpful either. Just as with art, when it is forced, it shows.

As the week progressed and I continued to look at the suggestion that I post weekly on my wall near my computer as a reminder, I started talking to myself. Since the wine was safely corked in the kitchen, I figured I was losing my mind or I was lonely. I don't think it was either case actually. I was looking for someone to hear and possibly answer my stupid questions and I found someone, me.

Many of the times my questions arose were when I was procrastinating or I felt I had a hurdle in front of me. I asked the question and I answered it. I often smiled and/or chuckled because, well, I was talking to myself aloud and my questions were stupid and the answers were equally crazy. It did however break the self made tension over the roadblock I was facing. I immediately was able and did breakthrough. On a few occasions, my answers were dump and I gave myself some insight, both in how I think and feel, but possibly how things may work around me. Regardless of which situation, the end result was action, movement and energy, all with a smile on my face. Once I got past the notion that I was feeling stupid doing this at all, I found this to be a liberating exercise.

This week, I will examine the next suggestions in the "Incomplete Manifesto for Growth" by Bruce Mau which is "Collaborate. The space between people working together is filled with conflict, friction, strife, exhilaration, delight, and vast creative potential."

No comments: